Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Writer's (Lack of) Block

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, again, but I've got reasons...um...well...okay maybe I've been just a little lazy. The truth is I actually was working on this article that I just submitted to the SFU newspaper, but unfortunately I missed the deadline for this semester's submissions, so I'll have to wait until September to try again. I had actually started writing it about 2 weeks ago, not that I worked on it everyday, but every time I did I felt like what I've written so far wasn't quite good enough, and I'd even considered scrapping the whole thing and starting over on several occasions. For some reason I kept revising and editing and couldn't finish the damn thing no matter what I did. And it wasn't only the usual "perfectionists' problem" that was holding me back (I've had plenty of experience dealing with that), but something else as well; something new.

That something, I now realize, was the fact that the article would be my first 'official work' as a fresh-grad, and subconsciously I felt the need to make it different. Different how? I couldn't really say. I just wanted my writing to be more informative, more precise, and more polished in general. I had a strong feeling that this new piece should reflect all the knowledge and experience I've gained during my undergraduate career, and maybe that wasn't a bad thing in itself, but the feeling was so strong that it became paralyzing and hindered my ability to write as well as I could have. Ironically this was not a case where I suffered from lack of inspiration or creativity, but quite the opposite: I had so much I wanted to say and convey to my audience that I couldn't properly translate it onto paper, no matter how many times I reworked it.

Probably due to the factors listed above, my article didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped. But now that I have another month until resubmission, I'll have plenty of time to resolve all the self-imposed restrictions and expectations that I've placed on myself and just let my writing flow freely. If all goes well, my writing should be able to speak for itself, metaphorically that is.

P.S. Now that I'm feeling back in the game again, I'll be blogging lots for a while, at least for the upcoming month. Plus, I've got a little something special planned for my next entry so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I have not finished my education yet, matter of fact I think that it has been so long since I went to college that my credits are not viable anymore. But I am headed for college at 48 years of age. I am excited and intimidated. But this is about YOUR blog. First of all it was uplifting to me since I am headed to college and want to gain so much more knowledge. I have a book coming out by January 3, 2015 I just approved my cover art. You can go back to the group and check out my link if you want to see what I approved. I was filled with your excitement as I read your blog because even though I have had limited college education, when I wrote my book there was so many key points to keep in a correct order that I edited it and did rewrites eight times! Finally my publisher was like "Hey we have an editor waiting to professionally edit your book . Quit turning yourself inside and out." that's when I just said "Okay, you can have it!" But i understand completely about wanting it to be exactly what I imagined the possibility for it to become. I think you have a great blog and should throw that old Lazy Bone out the window that has kept you from your readers. I am so very glad I became part of the chain and that you were one of the two people above me that I was to respond to their blog. When you publish the article I would love to read it so if you can and want to send me the link. You have inspired me to want to use my blog to inspire others and also to get down to the college and sign up for next semester. I actually have a Pell Grant approved already. and was awarded another grant also. So thanks for the, how shall I say it? Kick in the \Lazy Bone to get going. Love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your kind words! Really, you're being way too nice to me haha, I'm not sure how to respond. I'm glad that my blog has inspired you in some way; one of the reasons I started it was to provide such inspiration after all, so your comment really means a lot to me. As for my article, I'll be happy to share it with you once it's out. I'm glad that you've decided to go back to college, it's never too late for more learning, and there really is not experience quite like it. Lastly, congratulations on your soon-to-be published book, I wish you all the best!

      Delete
  2. Hi Keith - Found your blog on LinkedIn. I can relate to the paralyzed feeling of having too much to say and I've been writing professionally for 13 years (granted, 11of them have been fundraising and copywriting for non profits, first 2 as a journalist). For me, that feeling never went away, but I did develop an ability to ruthlessly edit myself. Your writing here is engaging, though, so I'll enjoy watching your writing career take off! Best, Christie Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt that having 13 years of experience under your belt can help develop one's self-editing abilities, but that paralyzing feeling can still get the best of us sometimes, no? I guess it's just one of those things that writers can never shake off permanently. Anyhow, I find it very admirable that you've spent 11 years using your talent for fundraisers and non profits; to me, they're the purest form of giving back to one's community, so bravo. And thanks for commenting!

      Delete