Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Wonder of Words

For all intents and purposes, this can be seen as part of my introductory blog, but I decided that the topic itself was too important to not have an entire blog dedicated to it. So here it is.

As the title suggests, I wish to express my respect and fascination with the phenomenon known as words; or more broadly speaking, language. Many of us take this for granted, but out of all the diverse species that we know of, humans are the only ones capable of communicating through language; through the use of words. Of course, many animals are capable of communicating through sounds, such as the barking of dogs or the chirping of birds. However, when you really get down to it, there isn't a single species besides humans that can effectively communicate all our thoughts, feelings, concepts, ideas, or anything else really. Words, by their very nature, are symbolic. When we say something in any language, it represents something in the real world, and we are able to express its meaning to each other in a relatively quick way. It really is a profoundly powerful phenomenon unique to us. Imagine a world where language was never invented; all the words I have written here will be as meaningless to us as color is to a blind man.

I have come upon this realization years ago and it is in large part due to this realization that I have decided to become a writer (and blogger). As a member of the only species on the planet capable of such a powerful form of communication, I feel a certain obligation to use it to its fullest potential. I'm not a man of many talents, but I have discovered that I do have a certain way with words, especially when I'm able to write them down. Therefore I have made it my life's mission to refine this talent, to use it to make this world a better place however I can. Hopefully in the course of my blogging and writing I will be able to help others through comfort, encouragement, inspiration, and however else they may be of service to the world.

4 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by words andthe power of words as well. I keep 4 dictionaries and a handful of different thesauri (I hope that is a word) within arm's reach of my writing chair. I am always amazed when I go to a thesaurus to look up a word. If I can't find the exact word, I will choose a word for the listing and search it. Then another word. I have gone 15 to 20 deep before i found the exact word I needed , but when I found it, it was perfect! I always wanted to be known as a wordsmith! I beleive that is an ultimate compliment! I look forward to reading more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, hopefully I'll be able to blog again sometime this week. Also, thesauri (which is indeed a word) are awesome.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this and it is great place for a blogger to begin - a love of words. Blogging itself is so fascinating as an evolution of human communication and, I hope, proof that we aren't all only interested in quick soundbites of information but a deeper connection of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I honestly do believe that we are all capable of establishing a deeper connection with each other; we need only to try.

      Delete