Monday, September 7, 2020

The Final Gift

The Writers' Guild holds a monthly contest where members can submit their writing based on a given theme; after which they are reviewed by 3 peer judges. Afterwords, the winner and runner up will both have their work published and featured on the official UBC Writiers' Guild site. For my 2nd submission, I was fortunate enough to be runner up of the January 2018 contest; the theme of which was "hope." Based on the classic myth of Pandora's Box, I had initially wanted to play around with the idea of hope being an ambiguous gift, with Athena arguing for its potential for good and Hermes arguing the opposite. I remember working feverishly on this piece (while in class!) to meet the deadline, but alas I had to cut it short due to the time constraints and the contest's word count limit. I'm still very pleased with the outcome, but someday I'd like to expand the ending to what I originally had in mind.


https://ubcwritersguild.wordpress.com/2018/02/07/january-contest-hope-runner-up/#more-58

No comments:

Post a Comment