Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Today is Mother's Day, and tonight during dinner everywhere I look people were celebrating with their mothers. My mom, on the other hand, is busy making a living and supporting the family from half a world away, and so I do not have the luxury to celebrate with her in person. However, that doesn't make it any less special. In fact, seeing all those smiling sons and daughters with their mothers has reminded me how important my own mother has been in my life, and how much she has sacrificed for us over the years.

As a writer, I'm of the mind that most things can be adequately expressed in words; and quite wonderfully if the person chooses his words carefully. This, however, is one of the few things that I believe no words can ever be enough to convey fully. There is nothing I can say here that can even come close to how grateful I am for my mother, and how much I love her. Since her job requires her to be in another country, it's always been difficult for her to travel back and forth and make time for us, and when she does come visit, we try to make the best of it. Initially I was devastated having to spend months without seeing my her, but as time went on I became accustomed to this way of life, and especially during my teenage years I began to notice my mother's absence less and less. Looking back now, I realize just how much of our time together I've taken for granted. As she's not always there for me and my brother, my mother's always been trying to compensate for lost time by spending a fortune on us: whether it be clothing or games and entertainment, nothing was ever too expensive for her as long as we asked for it; and a lot of times we didn't even have to!

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that my mom has been more than generous to us, and there's just no way to ever repay the favor. Whatever she does for us, it's always out of love; truly unconditional love, and I feel it everyday of my life. I don't know how she does it, but she is in every sense of the word a 'Supermom'. So mom, Happy Mother's Day, and thank you for making me the luckiest son in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment